- Modern warfare.
- The poppy has become a symbol for the loss of life for all soldiers, since the World Wars.
- Remembrance Day is observed by many to commemorate those who have lost their lives for their county.
- Many relatives are affected by the decisions of ones who choose to sacrifice their life to fight for their country.
- This poem reflects the conflicting emotions of pride and fear.
- The poem includes key memories of a mother and depicts her close relationship with her son.
- Various emotions are addressed in the poem.
- The mother is left behind, when the son goes to war.
- The poem concludes with the mother visiting a memorial site. She may be there to see the name of her son but this is not clarified.
- Four stanzas
- No rhyme scheme
- Extended metaphor
- Animal imagery
- Power of humans
- Power of nature
- Power of memory
- First hand experience