- Modern warfare; wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and others in the East.
- Soldiers are posted in communities where they have to act as judge and determine who is a threat.
- Soldiers have to make split-second decisions which affect the rest of their lives.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a common mental health problem that troubles the lives of ex-service men and women.
- The speaker relays an experience he had when posted in an Eastern country.
- He shot a man who was raiding a bank.
- He remembers each bullet as it passed through the target’s body.
- After the incident, he revisits the scene, either for work or personal reasons.
- His memories plague him and he is sent home on compassionate leave.
- He turns, unsuccessfully, to substance abuse to try to numb the guilt.
- Loose internal rhymes
- Eight stanzas
- Finale is a couplet
- Graphic imagery
- Power of humans
- Power of nature
- Power of memory
- First hand experience