- Ireland faced much unrest with regard to politics and religion.
- The country was divided, because some wanted independence from England and others did not.
- As well as this, Protestants and Catholics were often bitterly opposed to one another which caused problems within communities.
- The poem is symbolic of the struggles that Ireland faced, particularly in Stormont.
- A story of a powerful storm that attacks an isolated cottage located next to the sea.
- Despite the preparedness of the occupants, the house struggles under the strength of the storm.
- Iambic pentameter
- Does not rhyme
- Present tense
- Conversational asides
- Blank verse
- 19 lines
- Power of humans
- Power of nature