You might well already know this! But if not, you need too!
There are only a few materials that exhibit magnetic properties. They include:
There two different types of magnetic field - permanent and induced.
- A permanent magnet produces its own magnetic field and can attract and repel other magnets.
- An induced magnet is a material that becomes a magnet __when it is placed in a magnetic field. Induced magnetism __always causes a force of attraction. When the magnetic field is removed, or the material is taken out of the field, the induced magnet loses its magnetism quickly.
- What happens if a south pole and a north pole are brought near each other?
- Your answer should include: attract / move toward
- Can an induced magnet attract and repel like a permanent magnet?
Explanation: only attract
- Define a permanent magnet
- produce its own magnetic field