Experimental Set Up
You are provided with the following:
- Leslie cube kettle
- Infrared detector
- Heatproof mat
Read these instructions carefully before you start work.
Place the Leslie cube on to a heat proof mat.
Fill the cube with very hot water and replace the lid of the cube.
- Use the detector to measure the amount of infrared radiated from each surface.
Make sure that before a reading is taken the detector is the same distance from each surface.
Draw a bar chart to show the amount of infrared radiated against the type of surface.
- Take two cans with different materials wrapped around them for insulation
- Add 300ml of hot water to either a silver or black can using a measuring cylinder
- Record the starting temperature using a thermometer.
- Record the temperature every 30 seconds for each can for 5 minutes.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the other can. The starting temperature needs to be the same as before.