Key vocabulary learning skills
__Vocabulary learning skills: __
- To try and reduce the number you need to learn, try to use all the tricks you can e.g.
a. “ha ha it sounds like” – Laine = wool = a sheep called Len. (If it makes you laugh it is more likely to work. Our brains are funny like that!)
b. “ooh it reminds me of” – pantalon = a bit like pantaloons = those funny old fashioned trousers in your history books.
At home, do it little and often - lots of breaks because it is boring!
No background noise/music. (Music is good for concentration for most other HW but bad for memorisation HW – it just is. Sorry!)
Learn the meanings first.
Cover up the English
Test yourself: Look – cover – say (the English) – check
Test yourself again: Look – cover – say – check (just ones you got wrong)
When you have 100% correct, move on
- Now learn the spellings.
Cover up the French
Test yourself: Look – cover – write (the French) – check
Look – cover – write – check (just the ones you got wrong)
When you have 100% correct, have a biscuit!
- How do you say ugly in French?
- How do you say serious in French?
- Translate: they are boring
- ils sont barbants
- Translate: 'j'était étonné par la nouvelle'
- I was surprised by the news
__KEY VERBS __
· croire = to believe
· désirer = to desire
· détester = to hate
· dire = to say
· espérer = to hope
· (s’)intéresser à = to be interested in
· marre (en avoir) = to be fed up
· penser = to think
· préférer = to prefer
· promettre = to promise
· sembler = to seem
· supporter = to support
· vouloir = to want to
- Translate: 'I am fed up'
- j'en ai marre
- Translate 'it seems interesting'
- il semble interessant
- Translate: 'si je le détestais, je ne le dirai pas'
- Your answer should include: if I hated it / I wouldn't say so
Other opinions vocabulary
Key opinion phrases
· à mon avis = in my opinion
· ça dépend = it depends
· ça m’énerve = it annoys me
· ça me fait rire = it makes me laugh
· ça me plaît = it pleases me
· ça m’est égal = it’s okay
· ça ne me dit rien = I am not interested
· ça suffit = that’s enough
- Translate 'ça m’est égal' into English
- it's okay
- Translate: 'it makes me laugh' into French
- ça me fait rire