What do I have to do?
__WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO? __
Communicating and interacting effectively in speech for a variety of purposes
The format is the same at Foundation Tier and Higher Tier, but with different stimulus questions for the Photo card and different stimulus materials for the Role-play. The timings are different too:
- Role-play – 15 marks (2 minutes at Foundation Tier; 2 minutes at Higher Tier)
- Photo card – 15 marks (2 minutes at Foundation Tier; 3 minutes at Higher Tier)
- General conversation – 30 marks (3–5 minutes at Foundation Tier; 5–7 minutes at Higher Tier)
- How much preparation time will you have?
- 12 minutes
- Which parts of the exam will you have to prepare in this time?
- Your answer should include: role play / photo card
- How long will you need to speak for in the general conversation?
- Your answer should include: 3-5 minutes foundation / 5-7 minutes higher
How will I be assessed?
__HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED? __
- Non-exam assessment
- 7–9 minutes (Foundation Tier) + preparation time
- 10–12 minutes (Higher Tier) + preparation time
- 60 marks (for each of Foundation Tier and Higher Tier)
- 25% of GCSE
How can I revise?
HOW CAN I REVISE (AND SUCCEED)?
- Prepare and practice responses to the general conversation questions provided to you by your teacher at school. Practice these questions and being fluent and natural when you speak.
- Practice forming and understanding a range of questions.
- Practice and learn key verb formations in a range of tenses.
- Practice explaining opinions in detail.
- Practice narration (telling a story).
- Practice describing a photo.