Carbon Dioxide Emission Graph
Change Over Time
Natural Greenhouse Effect
A natural temperature-
control system that relies on greenhouse gases
- The concentration of carbon (carbon dioxide and methane) strongly influence the natural greenhouse effect.
- Earth’s climate driven by incoming shortwave solar radiation
- Approx. 31% is reflected by clouds, aerosols and gases in the atmosphere and land surface
- 69% is absorbed; almost 50% of this absorbed at the Earth’s surface, especially by oceans
- 69% of surface absorption is re-radiated to space as longwave radiation
BUT a large proportion of this__ longwave__ radiation is re-radiated back to the surface by clouds and gases.
This ‘trapping’ of longwave radiation is what gives a life supporting average of 15 degrees – the ‘natural greenhouse effect’