Knowledge of Spanish Cinema
- Get familiar with different Spanish film genres and classic Spanish films. You will be expected to know of various genres, such as drama, comedy, action, and more. Classic films to explore can include those directed by Pedro Almodóvar or Guillermo del Toro.
- Understand the cultural importance of cinema in Spanish-speaking countries. Learn about the significant role cinema plays in reflecting society and culture.
- Be prepared to compare Spanish cinema to that of your own country. This could be in terms of content, style or cultural impact.
- Be aware of some famous Spanish-speaking actors and the roles they played in certain movies. This knowledge could be beneficial when discussing the influence of these actors within and outside of Spanish-speaking regions.
Vocabulary and Expressions
- Learn vocabulary associated with cinema. This includes words to describe genres, parts of the film (e.g., plot, characters), and the filming process. This could also include expressing likes, dislikes, and opinions about films.
- Discussing preferences and experiences related to cinema in Spanish is a key aspect of the Identity and Culture segment. Be ready to express your favourite film, the last movie you’ve seen, and your opinion on it.
Language Skills Development
- Work on your listening comprehension skills. You might need to watch movie trailers, clips or interviews in Spanish and understand the dialogue or respond to questions about it.
- Practise your speaking skills by giving a review of a movie orally or discussing different aspects of the film industry in Spanish.
- Learn how to write a film review in Spanish. This will require bringing together your knowledge of film vocabulary, grammar, and structures for expressing opinion and evaluation.
- In your preparation, try to incorporate as many elements as possible. Reading film reviews, watching films or movie clips, writing your reviews, and discussing them will not only boost your vocabulary and grammar but also improve all your language skills - speaking, writing, reading and listening.