Developed: country with a very high human Development (VHHD) Emerging: country with a high/medium human Development (HMHD) Developing: A country with a low human Development – poor country (LHD)
The Development Gap shows global inequality which means differences in wealth.
The causes of global inequality can be divided into:
- And Political reasons
- Cycle of Poverty / Poverty Trap
- Growth of megacities
- Squatter settlements / slums
- Deprivation – limited access to health care, education and clean water
- Environmental degradation
- Social and political unrest
Inequality and Migration
Migration is another consequence of this global inequality. People move for a better life.
The USA has been one of the largest recipients of migrant labour in the world, both historically and recently.
Mexican migration to the USA is associated with:
- Higher wages and more jobs in the USA
- Rapid growth working population in Mexico
- Much higher wealth and better quality of life in the USA