Use of the Cooker
Knowing the main parts of the cooker and their functions
- The range or stove: This is the main part of the cooker where the heat is produced for cooking.
- The oven: This is used for baking, roasting, or broiling. It maintains a consistent temperature throughout the cooking process.
- The hobs or burners: These provide heat for frying, boiling, and sautéing food. They usually come in a variety of sizes for different pans.
- The grill or broiler: This is typically used for high-temperature cooking to brown or crisp food.
Understanding how to operate the cooker safely
- Never leave the cooker unattended while in use, especially when cooking with high heat or oil.
- Always use oven mitts to handle hot items.
- Make sure the cooker is turned off completely after use.
Understanding different cooking methods and when to use them
- Boiling: This is used for cooking starchy foods like pasta or potatoes.
- Grilling: Commonly used for meats to give them a crispy exterior.
- Baking: Used for bread, pastries and cakes. It uses dry heat to cook food.
- Frying: This is a fast method of cooking for quick meals or browning food.
Knowing how to adjust and control the cooker’s temperature
- Always preheat the oven before baking to ensure even cooking.
- Adjust the temperature knobs to control the heat of the burners and oven.
- Keep an oven thermometer inside to check if the temperature setting is accurate.