Carbohydrates: Specific Function
- Carbohydrates are essential macronutrients that provide energy for the body.
- They can be found in grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products.
- The primary function of carbohydrates is to fuel cells, particularly brain cells.
- Carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars like glucose upon consumption.
- Glucose is either used immediately for energy or stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles.
- Dietary fibre, a type of complex carbohydrate, aids in digestion and promotes a healthy gut bacteria balance.
- It’s vital to consume an adequate amount of carbohydrates daily for proper bodily function and overall well-being.