Role in Human Nutrition
- Macronutrients are critical for human nutrition as they provide energy, build and maintain body structures, and support various biological functions.
- The three primary macronutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for the body.
- Proteins offer essential amino acids necessary for the growth, repair, and maintenance of body tissues.
- Fats supply energy, help protect organs and form cell membranes, and facilitate the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- A balanced intake of these macronutrients is vital for optimal health and wellbeing.