Protein: Consequences of Malnutrition
- Malnutrition is a result of a diet lacking the necessary nutrients, including protein.
- Protein is crucial for maintaining muscle mass, supporting immune function, and producing essential hormones and enzymes.
- Protein deficiency can cause numerous health problems, including a condition called kwashiorkor, which affects mainly young children and includes symptoms like swollen abdomen, thinning hair, and stunted growth.
- A lack of protein can also weaken the immune system, making individuals more prone to infections and illness.
- Insufficient protein intake can negatively impact muscle mass, leading to muscle wasting and physical weakness.
- Consuming a balanced diet that includes numerous protein-rich foods is necessary to avoid these negative effects.